Tarn House forms the private wing of a Victorian gentleman’s residence, built at the end of the 19th century by the owner of the Elterwater Gunpowder Works. The cottage – rated four star by VisitEngland – features two secluded patios, ample parking and a large private fellside garden with panoramic views towards the Coniston massif and Langdale Pikes.
Tarn House provides stylish, well-equipped, self-catering accommodation for families and groups of any size up to eight people.
Period features including parquet flooring, Victorian tiling and inglenook fireplace combine with large-screen LCD TVs, DVDs and fibre wi-fi access to give you a comfortable and well-equipped Lakeland holiday at any time of year.
- Large period Victorian property in a peaceful countryside setting
- Central location within the Lake District National Park – 5 minutes from Ambleside, 5 minutes from Elterwater, 15 minutes from Coniston, 15 minutes from Hawkshead, 20 minutes from Ullswater
- 4-star quality rated by VisitEngland (ten years in a row)
- Large wood-burning stove – with starter supply of logs, coal, paper and firelighters
- Pub and restaurant within 1/2 mile walk (many more within a five minute drive)
- Secluded private fellside garden with far-reaching views; the perfect breakfast spot or take the BBQ out on summer evenings… Our garden is regularly visited by deer, foxes, badgers, owls, bats and dozens of different birds
- Luxuriously furnished and equipped with modern appliances (LCD TVs, DVD player, freesat, Roku, Netflix)
- Fibre super-speed Wi-Fi (streaming on up to eight devices)
- 4 double bedrooms. Sleeping accommodation arranged over two floors each with its own bathroom – ideal for two groups or two generations sharing the house, as well as larger groups and families. Many of our guests are family groups celebrating birthdays.
- …Also ideal for smaller families and groups – you could use just one sleeping floor if you wish, or spread yourselves out.
- Families, children and babies welcome – we have a cot, 2 booster seats (suitable for 6 months – 4 yrs old), fireguard, stairgates and a large collection of children’s books, toys, plastic crockery
- Bathrooms with always-hot power-showers and extra-deep Victorian cast-iron baths
- Two towels and Egyptian cotton linen provided for each guest
- Private parking for three cars
- Fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer, microwave
- Central heating throughout
- Heating and electricity included in price
- No smoking, no pets
- We use Good Energy to supply us with electricity from 100% renewable sources.