All bookings are made subject to the terms and conditions listed here. These are intended to protect both you as the holidaymaker and ourselves as the owners. We have sought to make them as clear and fair as possible, but please contact us with any questions.
- Please place a booking by contacting us using one of the methods listed on the Contact Us page. A booking is only confirmed once we have confirmed to you the availability of your chosen booking period and we have received your booking details, a deposit (or full payment if applicable) and security bond. We will confirm to you the booking details and receipt of the deposit, balance and security bond either via email or post.
- Paying the deposit : A booking must be accompanied by a £100 non-refundable deposit. This deposit reserves the requested booking period for your use. It is non-refundable to reflect the fact we may lose the opportunity to re-let this week if you subsequently cancel your holiday. However if the booking is cancelled within 7 days, the £100 will be refunded (see the point about the Distance Selling Regulations under Cancellations, below).
- Paying the balance : If you are booking within 6 weeks of the holiday commencement date, then please pay the deposit and balance of the holiday cost when placing your booking, not just the deposit. If you are booking more than 6 weeks before the holiday commencement date, please pay the balance to us no later than 6 weeks before the holiday commencement date. If we do not receive the full payment by this time, we reserve the right to consider the booking cancelled, in which case our cancellation policy applies and you may not get back the cost of the booking.
- Paying the security bond : We ask you to pay a security bond of £100 prior to your arrival to cover our costs in case of unreasonable damage during your stay. We will not keep these funds unless the property has suffered unreasonable damage during your stay. In the very unlikely case of this happening (this has never occurred to date), we would deduct reasonable costs and return any balance of the £100 to you within 7 days of the end of the booking. We stress this is only to protect us against unreasonable damage occurring – we are not going to be charging guests for one or two broken pieces of crockery. In all other cases the security bond will be returned to you within 7 days of the end of the booking.
- If paying any monies by cheque, please make payable to “David Felton”.
- We strongly recommend that you arrange cancellation insurance to cover you in the event of cancellation.
- In the event that you have to cancel the booking, please contact us by phone or email using the details on the Contact Us page in the first instance followed up immediately in writing to confirm that the booking is to be cancelled. Assuming your booking has not commenced at the time of cancellation, the cancellation policy is as follows.
- Cancellation within 7 days of placing the booking : in accordance with the Distance Selling Regulations, you will be refunded any paid monies in full within 7 days of cancellation.
- Cancellations after 7 days of placing the booking & 6 weeks or more before the start of the booked period : the £100 deposit will be forfeited. Any monies paid for the balance of the holiday cost or the security bond will be refunded within 7 days of cancellation.
- Cancellation after 7 days of placing the booking & less than 6 weeks before the start of the booked period : the £100 deposit and the balance of the cost of the holiday will be forfeited. Any monies paid for the security bond will be refunded within 7 days of the cancellation. We will do our utmost to re-let the cancelled booking period. If we manage to do so, we will refund to you the balance of the holiday cost within 7 days of our being paid by the new customer, minus any discount we have to give to achieve the re-let at short notice. By way of example : if you pay £700 for a booking, and you cancel 4 weeks before the booking commences and we manage to re-let that week for £500, we will refund you £400 (£700 booking cost – £100 deposit forfeited – £200 discount to achieve re-let).
- If the booking has already commenced at the time of the cancellation, we will consider each situation individually regarding refunding any monies paid. We strive to ensure that the accommodation you receive is as per advertised and we can only compensate or refund guests if there has been a substantial misrepresentation on our part or a substantial failure to deliver to you the service which was advertised. We welcome all constructive feedback and urge guests to contact us as early as possible if there are any problems during your stay.
- If the property becomes unavailable : It is possible that Tarn House may become unavailable for your holiday if, for example, it suffers a fire / it suffers major water damage / it suffers storm damage / the property changes ownership. If any cause makes the property unavailable for your booking, you will be notified immediately and any paid monies will be returned in full. Our liability in such a situation will be limited to the full refund of all monies paid to us.
- Damages and breakages should be reported as soon as is reasonably possible to the owners so that replacements can be sought prior to the commencement of subsequent bookings. Charges will be applied to the security deposit where appropriate (see the booking tab for details).
- Any maintenance problems should be notified to the owners as soon as they arise so that these can be dealt with as swiftly as possible by the owners and with the least inconvenience to yourselves and other holiday makers.
- Whilst there is no extra charge for electricity and oil we would ask that these utilities are not misused. Please refer to the house particulars as posted in the cottage regarding how to best use the heating system. We reserve the right to use the security bond to offset any greatly excessive use of the utilities provided.
- Bed linen is provided and we also provide 2 towels per guest – please leave these in the property for future guests.
- A travel cot, high chair, 2 stair gates and fire guard are available in the property, however cot bed linen is not provided. Please advise us at time of booking if the cot or high chair is required so that we can ensure they are available (no extra charge is made).
- Bedroom 1 can be set up either as a twin or super-kingsize. Please advise at the time of booking how you would like this room made up.
- The property is supplied by mains electricity and oil-fired central heating, the costs of which are included in the holiday (subject to fair use as noted earlier). The water supply is a private water supply taken from a spring on the side of Loughrigg Fell. This springwater is then passed through a filtration and sterilisation system to ensure it is healthy for all drinking, cooking and bathing uses. The water is regularly tested by the water board to ensure it is fit for human consumption.
- The property provides free wireless broadband access. Whilst every effort is made to maintain this service, there may be loss of service due to, but not limited to, faults on the phone line or faults with the providing Internet Service Provider. We cannot be held liable for any loss of this service during your stay, though we will endeavour to trace and rectify any faults as quickly as possible.
- The holiday cottage is non-smoking and pet-free, and we as the owners expect this to be respected for the safety and comfort of others.
- Please leave the holiday cottage as you found it; this will help to ensure a smooth changeover for the next set of holidaymakers. Thanks.
Arrival & Departure
- The property will be available from 4pm on your day of arrival. Please do not arrive sooner than 4pm as we will be still completing the changeover from the last set of guests. We will inform you in advance about key collection and drop-off.
- Please vacate the property no later than 10am on your day of departure. This is to allow us the time to complete the changeover before the next guests arrive, which shall often be 4pm later that day.
- We cannot accept bookings from anyone under the age of 18.
- Vehicles should be parked only on the Tarn House premises and the vehicles and their accessories and contents are left entirely at your own risk as are all of your party’s belongings in the property.
- The maximum number of occupants for the property is 8 (not including babies under the age of 1).
- The maximum number of vehicles allowed to park at the property is 3.
- Please ensure that any children in the party keep their play within Tarn House’s grounds and that all members of the party respect our neighbours’ privacy.
- The hirer acknowledges that this agreement is made on the basis that the holiday home is to be occupied by the hirer for a holiday (as referred to in the Housing Act 1988, Schedule 1, Paragraph 9) and the hirer further acknowledges that the tenancy granted by this agreement is not an assured tenancy and that no statutory tenancy will arise on the termination of the letting period. We reserve the right of access to our property at all reasonable times; we shall always respect our guests’ privacy and we will endeavour to contact you in the unlikely event that we require emergency access during your stay.